Sunday, May 02, 2010

10 Second Gestures And Commuter Sketches





A while ago I posted about a great, resourceful website called posemaniacs.com, and I've been using the site to do 10 second and 30 second gestures every day for the past week. Posted here are a couple pages of 10 second gestures. I like the 10 second gesture drawing because you have to strip away all the superficial details and just focus on the energy of the pose. I read a quote once that said "Don't draw the Nouns, draw the Verbs" and this is really what gesture drawing is all about. It's not important what the individual pieces of the body look like in a 10 second gesture. What matters is how it feels. And it's the same thing in animation. It's all about the feeling.

The third image in this post is a compilation of some of my favourite Commuter Sketches from the past couple weeks. I have tons of these so I'm hoping to post more in the future. I want to sketch in some different areas though. When you're commuting you're limited to only a very specific range of poses and it starts to get a bit monotonous.

~Chris

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there, I came across your blog when looking for an example of 10-second sketches and these are perfect examples. I hope you don't mind me using one to illustrate my post at http://gloriahanlon.com/2016/08/08/my-preccccccciousssssss. I would normally make sure to have permission in advance but I can't find any recent contact information and your primary website seems to be down. Please let me know if you would prefer I don't include that image and I will remove it.

Many Thanks,
Gloria